"Reading for pleasure is the most important gift you can give children. In our schools we teach children to read, but we also need to bring to life the joy of books." Jacqueline Wilson, Puffin World of Stories Ambassador
At Puffin, we believe that stories can inspire a child to feel that they can be and do anything. We know that many schools share our passion, but there are numerous challenges when it comes to finding the time and money to invest in reading for pleasure.
In 2018 we launched Puffin World of Stories, in partnership with the National Literacy Trust and 50 primary schools. To create hubs of creativity and imagination, each school received boxes of brand new books to reinvigorate their reading corner or library, and teachers and librarians attended specialist training, filled with ideas to make reading for pleasure part of their school culture and bring stories to life.
Now we’re excited to give 80 new schools in Essex, South London, Middlesbrough or Tyne and Wear the chance to take part in Puffin World of Stories, starting in September 2019.
“This week we have received our books and all we can say is WOW! What a tremendous donation. We are thrilled and excited. Thank you so very, very much on behalf of the staff and pupils. We are busy stamping and distributing them and can't wait to get reading!” Puffin World of Stories participant 2018/19
“Children who enjoy reading do better at school and are happier with their lives. At a time when school budgets are stretched, school libraries are struggling and 1 in 8 children from our most disadvantaged communities don’t have a single book of their own at home, it has never been more important to help children discover the transformative power of books and reading.
Puffin World of Stories has been a revelation. By giving teachers the knowledge, ideas and resources they need to bring their school libraries and reading spaces to life, the programme has inspired a culture of reading for pleasure to be embedded across whole school communities. We are thrilled that, from September, we will be able to help thousands more children, teachers and parents discover a love of reading that will last a lifetime.” Jonathan Douglas, Director of the National Literacy Trust.
What’s on offer?
It’s completely free to take part and participating schools will receive:
- 300 free Puffin books, including everything from Roald Dahl and Jacqueline Wilson to Robin Stevens, and Humza Arshad and new non-fiction
- One day training session delivered by the National Literacy Trust
- Package of free audio books and training to engage readers of all abilities
- Display kits to bring the magic of reading to life including bunting and posters
- Resources to encourage reading for pleasure across the whole school
- National Literacy Trust membership which includes teaching resources, school improvement tools and CPD
How can schools apply?
To apply you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a state primary school based in one of four areas: Essex, South London, Middlesbrough or Tyne and Wear.
- Above average level of pupils eligible to receive Free School Meals
- Willing to take part for one year from September 2019 until Spring 2020
- Have buy-in from your Head Teacher or a member of your Senior Leadership Team
Please note that this information will be shared with the National Literacy Trust.