Puffin Schools has been created by the children’s publisher Puffin to help bring together all the inspiring content we create for schools into one place.
The Illustrators Takeover
Friday 6 December
Available to view from 10AM – and then on-demand throughout the day
This 30-minute show for children in Key Stage 2 is all about telling stories with pictures. Each of the authors and illustrators will share their creative secrets which you can try out in the classroom.
Don’t forget your pen and paper to take notes and draw-along throughout! The show will give pupils lots of opportunities to hone their inference skills and gain a better understanding of how authors and illustrators make stories together, so pupils can apply this to their own creative writing.
Let us know you’re watching by tweeting @PuffinSchools using #StoryMakersShow
Here is what you can look forward to:
- Learn how authors and illustrators work together to make picture books with Nathan Byron and Dapo Adeola, the brilliant minds behind Look Up!
- Spot visual clues that illustrators use and learn to make inferences about a story with an excericse created by CLPE for Look Up!
- Discover what inspires Frostheart creator Jamie Littler, from comics and anime to TV and film.
- Draw-along with The Christmasaurus illustrator Shane Devries, with an introduction from author Tom Fletcher on what inspired the Christmasaurus character.
- Watch Hey Grandude! illustrator Kathryn Durst as she paints a ginormous bookshop window and talks about creating stories with Sir Paul McCartney.
- Find out how Wimpy Kid author and illustrator Jeff Kinney uses cartooning techniques to give his characters emotions.
The show will be available to watch from 10AM . You will be able to access the individual author and illustrator clips in the ‘Video Resources’ from Monday 9 December.
Please check your school’s website permissions to ensure that YouTube isn’t blocked, a YouTube player is embedded in the Puffin Schools website.
If you need support please contact the team at PuffinSchools@penguinrandomhouse.co.uk
Register Your Interest
Save the date in your diary and click ‘Going’ on the event on the Puffin Schools Facebook page to get the latest show news and for exclusive competitions!
Due to unforeseen circumstances Nadia Shireen is unable to appear in the show however we hope she will join the Story Makers in 2020.
Free teaching resources
Try out the Puffin Picture Book Inspiration powerpoint. It's fully editable and perfect for displaying on your interactive white board.
Power of Pictures: CLPE’s Power of Pictures helps primary school teachers to develop their understanding of the craft of picture book creation and illustration as a way of raising children’s reading and writing. Visit their website to download free teaching resources and find out more about their Power of Pictures training teachers taking place in January 2020.